PathRed Innovation Summit 2018
Dr B Malope-Kgokong Chairperson: Organizing Committee
the forewordThere is an urgent need to close the innovation gap and address challenges within the South African health sector. This will be achieved by encouraging and supporting innovative initiatives that will lead to translation of new ideas and inventions into the development of commercial products and services which will benefit South Africa and the African continent as a whole. The above requires collaboration among the government, private and public sectors to identify and capacitate existing and upcoming entrepreneurs to increase the advancement of new technologies. The National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS) is a key role player in the public health sector, serving about 80% of the South African population in providing diagnostic pathology services. The organisation is also uniquely positioned to drive the quest for innovative solutions that will lead to affordable and efficient services for the South African population at large. The NHLS’ strong link to the academic, private and government puts the organization at a great advantage to influence best practices and derive best benefits for the South African public towards alleviation of health challenges and struggles. The NHLS recognizes the impact of collaborative efforts and partnerships in delivering the best innovative strategy for the improvement of pathology diagnostics. The year 2018 will be a momentous one, where the NHLS, in collaboration with industry innovators, will promote and improve its strategic interaction with the National System of Innovation (NSI) through its Pathology Research and Development (PathRed) initiative. Join us at the PathReD Innovation Summit 2018 for stimulating dialogues and deliberations, as we explore inventive methods for moving innovation forward.
the drive to innovationEmpowering the scientific and technology communities as drivers for sustainable economic development in health research, the NHLS, in collaboration with its academic partners publishes more than 550 local and international journal articles, contributes to policies and translates some of its findings into services every year. The above offers an opportunity for effective public private partnerships to develop new solutions and converting them into commercialised products that can be used to improve the country’s health outcomes and for global interventions. A great effort should also be placed in the discovery and recognition of technical entrepreneurs and enable them to generate services and products that will change the outlook of the public health sector. Empowering the scientific and technology communities as drivers for sustainable economic development in health research, the NHLS in collaboration with its academic partners publishes more than 550 local and international journals articles, contributes to policies and translates some of its findings into services every year. This offers an opportunity to derive extended benefits to learn how to recognise and extract innovative discoveries, derive and develop new solutions and spiralling them into commercialised products that will be applied in industry towards the betterment of South Africa’s nation’s health outcomes and for global interventions. A great effort should be put in the discovery, recognition and enabling of technology entrepreneurs that will generate services and products that will change the outlook of the public health sector and derive benefits that will lead to affordable first class services and interventions across the board and help close the poverty gap.
the conceptThe theme of the NHLS’ Pathology Research Development (PathReD) Innovation Summit 2018 is “Leading Innovative Research to Build Sustainable Public Health Solutions”. The Summit is designed to stimulate the concept of innovation and to address the role of the NHLS within the NSI value chain. The Summit offers access to collective ideas from different but complementary platforms working towards the same goal, which is deriving the best innovative diagnostic and public health approaches and solutions for the South African public. The delegates will, amongst other things:
- Discuss ways to build an active platform that will promote innovative initiatives and commercialisation of derived goods and services;
- Form collaborations and partnerships for the generation of innovative ideas;
- Contribute towards the development of a comprehensive innovative strategic plan; and
- Make proposals on the ideal structure required to support leadership to drive innovation at the organisation.
the goalIn line with its vision of “Efficient Patient Centred Services and Global Centre of Excellence for Innovative Laboratory Medicine”, the NHLS is committed to supporting and driving innovation and related initiatives. The Summit will therefore offer an opportunity to delegates to strategise and make recommendations for collaborative partnerships for effective innovation.
The summit aims to
- To gather ideas and information for incorporation into a Comprehensive Innovation Operational Plan, which will ensure strategic and functional commitment to innovation;
- To develop strategic partnerships with private and public institutions to grow and advance organisational innovation targets;
- To strengthen collaborations with government, academia and private partners to build a sustainable innovation system to address the South African innovation gap in diagnostic and clinical pathology;
- Defined effective business model that identify operationally important innovation targets and objectives for the development, implementation and evaluation of new technologies and initiatives
- To identify an effective business model for the achievement of important innovation targets and objectives for developing, implementing and evaluating new technologies and initiatives;
- To explore ideas for creating incentives aimed at encouraging and recognising innovation;
- To strengthen human resource capacity to drive, create and attract entrepreneurs by establishing sound leadership to drive innovation; and
- To improve and upgrade infrastructure and its utilisation.
The PathReD Innovation Summit will bring together researchers from the NHLS and intellectuals across the pathology disciplines, leadership, innovation experts, policy makers, entrepreneurs, stakeholders and collaborating partners to actively engage in the formulation of best approaches to innovation in the organisation and at national level.
Looking forward to another successful PathReD Event.
Dr Babatyi Malope-Kgokong
Chairperson Organising Committee: PathReD 2018 Summit